Last night I played around with some small scraps and came up with a wonky star. I based it on my wonky log cabin blocks from my other quilt project, and I used the same method as a starting point. I love all the star blocks I see out there and I've been itching to make some, but I also love the wonky stuff, so I focused here on playing and letting go of the results, just working in a general direction toward a star.
My first try actually began with a wonky log cabin but turned into a pentagon after I added a couple of logs and made a few snip snips. After I went around three times, I made the star points but couldn't really figure out how I'd attach them to this body, so I made some 4-sided wonk instead, which is what I used in the picture above. This is the original pentagon wonk still waiting for star points:
The star is just over 9" square...well, square-ish anyway (My aunt would tell me, "Square it up, Danny."). I'm guessing the pentagon star, when it's finished, will be around 12" square-ish.