Friday, February 11, 2011

Pillow Case or Quilt Block?


I made this block last night, thinking it would become a pillow case, but it turned out one inch smaller than I had intended - 23" instead of 24". I haven't confirmed it yet but I believe I'm sewing a larger seam allowance than 1/4". It's hard to tell on my machine so I will fiddle with it tonight and actually measure the space. Pretty great for a beginning sewer! My favorite piece is the center square which is a Marimekko fabric. It's got a most wonderful texture that's just a little bit rough like linen or canvas. The two flowers in the upper and bottom corners are Kaffe Fassett fabric. I love just about everything I see from Kaffe Fassett. I'll definitely be working with more of those fabrics soon. I've picked up a few Brandon Mably fabrics that I love so will be using them soon. But as far as this block goes, I'm starting to consider it the beginning of a new quilt. Mind you, I've already got one ambitious quilt project in the works that will take a while (I'll begin posting my progress soon). But I would really love to see nine blocks of a variation of this design and these fabrics.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so impressed with how straight your sewing is LOL - looks like you've been doing this for years and years and years -

    You have a great sense of colour and texture and I can't wait to see more ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Sarah- great job on the straight sewing and agree that you have an incredible eye for colour too. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love marrimeko too! thanks for finding my blog and leading me back to yours. i love the way you put together patchwork (i.e. wonky star centers) and i'm happy to see what else you come up with.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!